Thursday, October 18, 2012

High Expectations: The Beginning of My Blog

Well, here goes nothing...

Welcome to my blog! 

Yesterday, I had the craziest idea: I should start a blog. This is not the first time that this idea has popped into my mind, but it's the first time that I thought it was a good idea. Just last week I was accepted into the Journalism program at Brigham Young University. I was (and still am) extremely excited! 
Proof! :)
So when I thought about a blog in my current situation, I decided that I really ought to. I'm going to be writing a lot from here on out, and the more I write, the better.

Reasons to have a blog:
1. I enjoy writing! If I didn't, then I chose the wrong major.
2. Practice makes perfect!
3. I love to share my thoughts with others. Although I already use Twitter (@kimberpower), sometimes 140 characters does not cut it.
4. Hopefully I can have a readership one day that will enjoy my thoughts on different topics and I can write to them.
5. I want my family and friends who don't talk to me regularly to know what's going on. It's nice to see on Facebook or Twitter that I went to a football game, but it's not as good as hearing about the experience in depth.

What can you expect from my blog? You can expect updates on my life, exciting things that happen to me, and life lessons learned. It's going to be a pretty typical blog. The main difference from other blogs, besides that I am writing and I have a very unique personality that shines through, will be that I plan on posting something after every BYU football and men's basketball game. It's a very daunting task, but I think I'm up for the challenge. I would LOVE to be a sports journalist one day, so I might as well start early! I will also post articles that I write for Uloop, this website I am a writer for, and The Universe, BYU's newspaper, so that you guys can read my work.

Where did I get the title for my blog? I posted a status on Facebook for ideas, and my freshman roommate Clara suggested "I believe in happy endings". Here's the story behind that: for the very last essay that I had to write for my senior year English class, we were given the prompt "This I Believe". Immediately I started thinking about my religious beliefs. I thought I would write about the gospel's influence in my life or how my Heavenly Father loves me. I wrote something out, but didn't really like it. Then, the night before it was due, inspiration struck while watching the season 1 finale of Glee (no joke). I felt so inspired by that episode because the ending was so happy and optimistic! So, I wrote about how I believe in happy endings, how optimism can get us anywhere if we put our minds to it. It was probably the best essay I had ever written in high school. I was also really inspired by it to keep being as optimistic as I can. Obviously, I'm not perfect. That's why I named by blog "Footsteps Toward My Happy Ending" because I know that I haven't reached it yet. Not even close. But I'm working on it! So, thanks Clara! :)

I guess I should share a little bit about myself:
My name is Kimberlie, but I go by Kimber. I don't like to be called Kim, and when I introduce myself as Kimberlie, people VERY often assume that my nickname is Kim. So, to make it easier on myself and others, I just introduce myself as Kimber. Which do I prefer: Kimberlie or Kimber? I like them both! Whichever you prefer to call me. :)
I am 21 years old!
I am the youngest of 6 children (4 boys and 2 girls). As crazy and obnoxious as it was sometimes, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Having a big family is so fun! I also have 3 nieces and 2 nephews, and they are all so fun!
My lovely family at the Oregon Coast!

My home is Portland, Oregon, but I currently reside in Provo, Utah to go to school.
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know it, I live it, I love it! If any of you ever have questions about what we are all about, feel free to ask me at any time. You can also check out mormon.org for more.
I am a junior at BYU majoring in Journalism, as mentioned earlier. It took me two years to realize that I want to be a journalist, which is why I am a junior just entering the program. Don't be surprised if I'm a super senior one day. I'm also minoring in Spanish! I LOVE the language and the people that speak it. Also, the idea of knowing another language is really cool to me, so the fact that I can communicate with different cultures is a really amazing thought.
I LOVE sports! A lot of people are kind of surprised when they see how intense and competitive I am when it comes to sports. Then I tell them that I have 4 older brothers and all of a sudden it makes sense! My favorite sports to watch are college basketball and football, NBA, MLB, and any BYU sports. The only sport that I really love to play, however, is volleyball. I have played volleyball since 5th grade, and I love it so much! Although I'm not on a college team, I play intramurals and take volleyball classes to keep up with it and keep having fun. In fact, I have won women's volleyball intramurals twice now!
This is my team after we won last week! Go Team Work!

Other random facts: my favorite color is yellow, my favorite movie is The Lion King, I hate being late, I work in the JSB Copy Center on BYU's campus, and I love life!

Well, this was a long introduction. I hope that you enjoy future blog posts! Feel free to comment on them and let me know what you think. 

I'm so excited! :)

PS: Don't forget to live it up while we're young!


2 comments:

  1. I'm excited that you started a blog kimber! It will be really fun to read what you have to say about life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good first post Kimber! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete