Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Worldwide Church

My favorite part about being here in Spain has been going to church. It has increased my testimony so much! But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The first few days in Spain were not good. I won't get into it, I'll just leave it there. My only ray of hope came from knowing that I was going to go to the local ward that Sunday. I was hoping to make friends in the ward so that I could have someone to do things with.

Finally, Sunday came. I got ready, put on my favorite dress, and prayed that it would go well. My host family was able to drive me there, luckily. The building is about 15 minutes away in a town called Parla. When we pulled up to the building and I saw this sign:
Multiple times I have heard stories from converts that when they went to church for the first time, they felt like they were coming home. I never really understood that until now. When I walked through those doors, I knew that this was my true home while I'm here. Everyone was so welcoming and nice! Everyone came up and greeted me (kisses on the cheek) as if I have always been in the ward. An interesting fact about the ward is that only two people in the ward are actually from Spain. Everyone else is from random Latin American countries. 

Side note: when I saw the American missionaries I could have hugged them!!! I was so excited to see someone from the United States. Haha! I even talked to them in English a little bit! 

As if all of that wasn't good enough, I made a friend! Her name is Anais, and she is in the Relief Society presidency. She's in her low 30s, is from Venezuela, and is married with a baby, but when I asked her if there were any activities going on that I could go to, she immediately started making plans with me. She was an answer to my prayers!! I didn't want church to end.

That next Saturday, there was a stake Relief Society activity that I went to with people from the ward. It was really fun! The sisters here in Spain are great examples of women in the Church! The food wasn't that great though.... Spain is famous for its paella, but paella with seafood is NOT my favorite. Haha! 
Do you see all of that seafood?? Ewwwwww!!
I met another friend at this activity: Eva! She is my age, and she was just baptized two months ago. She is also from Venezuela, like Anais. Being her friend has been such a blessing! I have done so many fun things with her! My time here in Spain would not have been the same.

With Anais and Eva, I have gone to Madrid multiple times and have just hung out in Parla. They have truly been answers to my prayers. I know that Heavenly Father is looking out for me here and that he sent those two to me to comfort me. It just goes to show you that you never know when you are going to be an answer to someone's prayers. 
               
Eva and me!
Anais, Maddie, and me!
I also had the chance to do baptisms in the Madrid temple. It was so cool! It was funny because even after I said my last name for them, no one could pronounce it. Haha I never thought Haner was hard to say! Anyway, it was a really great experience. It's funny how all of the temples are basically the same, but there are always little differences. It makes them unique!
After doing baptisms in the Madrid Temple!
One of the huge lessons that I have learned in Spain is that the Church is true, wherever you go! I am so grateful for the peace and comfort that I get from knowing that I can pray to Heavenly Father and know that He hears me. What a great blessing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment