Friday, March 20, 2015

My Top 25 Glee Songs

Tonight, Glee ends.

Back when it started in 2009, I LOVED it. And even though it has gone through some... rough patches... it still holds a special place in my heart. Glee taught me something. That sentence itself is pretty awesome. How many TV shows have taught me lessons or moved me as much as this show has? Probably not very many.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a cheesy post about life lessons.

I want to share my top 25 Glee songs. I picked these songs based on how much fun it is to sing along to or maybe an emotional connection I have to it. Basically, I think that Lea Michele has the greatest voice ever, so the majority of these songs involve her because I love her and love singing attempting to sing like her. There is a lack of songs from the last few seasons and frankly, that's because I haven't loved them as much. Just a few were good enough to crack the top 25.

25. "Friday" - Artie, Puck, and Sam
If I'm being real, this is one of the most fun songs done on Glee maybe ever. Sure, the song is a little silly, but this song is just awesome and SO fun.


24. "Suddenly Seymour" - Blaine and Rachel
This one is definitely my favorite for the final season. You'll notice that a lot of these songs I picked have great harmonies, which makes every song better. The harmonies in this song give me the chills! Plus, I love Darren Criss and I feel a little bad that he isn't on this list more.


23. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Rachel, Jesse, Finn, and Puck
Such a guilty pleasure. I don't have a great reason for loving this song other than I do. And I love Jesse St. James. (Song starts at 1:27)


22. "So Emotional" - Rachel and Santana
Such a fun song to sing along to! Both Rachel and Santana have killer voice, and this was their first duet together. Plus, the scene in the choir room is just plain fun.


21. "Crazy / 'U Drive Me Crazy" - Marley and Jake
This is the only song on the list that was sung by the "2.0s" (aka the new New Directions). I liked a lot of songs they sang, especially the ones sung by Marley, but they just aren't the same as the originals. This is such a pretty mashup though!


20. "Jar of Hearts" - Rachel
Ugh. Sing it, girl. Boys are the worst. This song was on repeat back in my JSB Copy Center days. Emily and I just couldn't get enough. Although, it is depressing whenever she isn't with Finn because they are the greatest. Also, what kind of song is this to sing during prom? Not very romantic.


19. "Cry" - Rachel
Two depressing songs in a row. This was an accident, but this song is so much fun to belt out, especially after a crappy day. Once again, Lea Michele is just UNREAL. (Song starts at 1:03)


18. "Raise Your Glass" - The Warblers
Okay, we are back to happy songs now. There are a lot of amazing Warblers songs, but this is one of my favorites. Sorry not sorry "Teenage Dream"... The choreography is so fun! I raise my glass to you, Blaine.


17. "Hello" - Rachel and Jesse
The beginning of one of my favorite characters on Glee: Jesse St. James. When I first saw this episode and heard this song, I could NOT get it out of my head. He is amazing. AMAZING. That is why I am very pleased with how the series ended!!!


16. "Somebody to Love" - New Directions
One of my favorite New Directions performances! I remember listening to this song on repeat in my janky truck on the way to school each day. When Rachel comes in... CHILLS.


15. "One Less Bell To Answer / A House is Not a Home" - Will and April
This is an obscure one. You probably won't see it on any other list you read (if hypothetically you are going around reading people's favorite Glee song lists). This wasn't a song I loved at first. But the more I listened to it, the more I was drawn to it. It is so good!! It is apparently so unloved that it doesn't even have a good video... so you just get the audio.



14. "I Want You Back" - The Warblers
My love for this song was recently rekindled, and I couldn't be happier about it. The song is actually a deleted scene from the Michael Jackson episode. I can't believe they cut out this gem!! Those dance moves... SWOON. Oh, Sebastian. Why did you have to go be the Flash? You should've stayed and been Blaine's true love.


13. "Roots Before Branches" - Rachel and Finn
If this scene doesn't make you cry, you are insane. The amount of times I got caught crying in the Copy Center while listening to this song is a little bit ridiculous. It is SO good though. I had never even heard of this song before, and now I love it. This is also one of the last times Rachel and Finn and truly together... Seriously. I don't think I can watch this scene without crying.


12. "Here's To Us" - Rachel
Another song, another amazing Rachel solo. In case you couldn't tell, I kind of like her. It's also another song I had never heard of before Glee! That's something I loved about this show: I discovered so many great songs because of the show! Also, the glances between her and Finn... I can't.


11. "For Good" - Rachel and Kurt
I know that Wicked was a thing before Glee, but I had never seen the musical or heard the songs before this show. So when I heard this song, I was hooked. It is such a sweet song! And now when I hear the original broadway version... I like this one better. It is my original version. Plus, the emotional significance behind this song... Don't get me started!! This was definitely another Copy Center favorite with Emily.


10. "Don't Stop Believin'" - New Directions
Of course this song is on here! Remember after the pilot episode came out and this was all everyone could listen to? That's how it was for my sister and me. And now, I just get emotional listening to this song because of what it means to this show. (The key is off on this video)


9. "Take Me or Leave Me" - Rachel and Mercedes
I hate the competitions between Rachel and Mercedes that seemed to happen every week. However, this song is AWESOME. There is so much sass, and they both sound AMAZING. This song is a blast to sing along to!! I also love how at the end of the video they finally realize how great they both are and get over these dumb "diva offs".


8. "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" - Rachel
The beginning of New Directions' win at nationals. Chills. I remember first watching this episode and being so in love with this performance. Plus, the way Jesse looks at her... Holla! BOW DOWN TO RACHEL, QUEEN OF SOLOS.


7. "Happy Days Are Here / Get Happy" - Rachel and Kurt
This is such a cute and happy song. It was also the beginning of Kurt and Rachel's friendship, which is super cute. I hated it when they weren't friends. Whenever this song comes on, I can't help but smile. So heartwarming!


6. "Don't Rain on My Parade" - Rachel
We all know why this is on the list. This is Rachel's first solo at a competition. Not only that, but she is so epic about it! Walking through the crowd?? Rachel, you are just amazing. Such a fun song to sing! I could say that about every song though. And I probably have.


5. "Poker Face" - Rachel and Shelby
This is such a cool version of the song. I remember seeing it on the show and having no idea what song it was at first. But Idina and Lea sound OUTSTANDING together. I would literally listen to this song on repeat about five times in a row. Also, perfect casting to have them be mother and daughter. PERFECT.


4. "Borderline / Open Your Heart" - Rachel and Finn
This song is way too short. WAY too short. The harmonies in this song just give me the craziest chills. And do I even have to say it? Rachel and Finn. What a great song. GREAT song. Another song that is underrated because there isn't a good video of it.


3. "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" - New Directions
The BEST New Directions performance. It definitely deserved the win at Nationals! And it introduced me to another song, a really fun song even. Songs that tell stories like this are awesome! The dancing? Amazing. I love the way Mike prances around the stage. Plus, the Finn/Rachel interaction just kills me. When she points to him while he hits the high note is one of my favorite parts. This is the greatest all-around song. Bravo, guys. BRAVO.


2. "On My Own" - Rachel
Rachel's first song. The first time we hear her voice. Plus, it is the theme song of every single girl ever, so of course I love it. What more can I say about Lea? She is the best. The full song wasn't performed on the show though, so there is just audio. I don't even need video to feel the emotions though! SLAY, RACHEL. SLAY.


1. "Faithfully" - Rachel and Finn
So many emotions. SO MANY. When Cory died, I felt loss for the first time. I know that sounds dumb, but I haven't had anyone close to me die before. I watched him every week on TV, I heard his voice all of the time when I listened to these songs. I love him. This song is the epitome of Finn and Rachel. "I love you." This is my favorite Glee song of all time. Chills every. Single. Time.



That was tough. Any of those songs could change by next week, but basically that is it. I warned you there would be a lot of Rachel! She is just the greatest!

Goodbye, Glee. Thanks for the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment